1. Identify the distribution of national health spending by type of financing source.
2. Identify the distribution of health insurance coverage among the U.S. population.
3. Discuss the impact of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the difficulties that might be encountered by those mandated to participate.
4. Discuss the origin of employment-based health insurance.
5. Explain the difference between fully insured and self-insured health plans.
Claxton, G. (2008). How Private Health Care Coverage Works: A Primer. A Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation Report. Available at http://www.kff.org/insurance/upload/7766.pdf (Retrieved 11/21/2012)
Blumenthal D. (2006). Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance in the United States – Origins and Implications. New England Medical Journal, 355(1), 82-88. Retrieved from ProQuest on 11/21/2012.
RAND Corporation. (2010). US Health Care Today: Coverage. Available at http://www.randcompare.org/us-health-care-today/coverage#current-levels-of-coverage (Retrieved 11/21/2012)
Bodenheimer, T. (2005). High and Rising Health Care Costs. Part 1:
Seeking an Explanation. Annals of Internal Medicine, 142 (10), 847-854. Available at: http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=718406
Choudhry, N., Rosenthal, M. & Milstein, A. (2010). Assessing the Evidence for Value-Based Insurance Design. Health Affairs, 29 (11), 1988-1994. Retrieved from ProQuest on 11/21/2012.
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.